Automate your summary, sections and appendices to structure your presentation in a smart way using our automatic Table of Contents. This feature will also ensure compliance with your corporate identity.
Insert a Table of Contents
To add a contents page in your presentation, go to Insert button on the UpSlide tab and select Insert Table of Contents from the drop-down menu.
The contents page will be inserted as a new slide after the one currently selected, displaying the items in your presentation. These items could be sections, subsections, slides, slide indexes, or other... the content depends of what has been set for your template.
- If the contents of the presentation do not fit in a single slide, the Table of Contents will automatically be split into additional slides or into a two column contents page.
- Only one Table of Contents can be inserted per presentation. If a contents page has already been added, clicking the Insert Table of Contents button simply takes you to this slide.
Structure your presentation with sections and subsections
Dividing a presentation into sections with UpSlide
Using UpSlide your sections have a divider slide to mark the beginning of the section. The divider slide is completely customized to your template, but it generally contains a summary of the contents of the section: name and number of the section, titles and indexes of the slides within the section, etc.
To add a section divider:
- Click between the slides (in the left hand thumbnail pane) where you would like your divider to go and your section to start.
- In the UpSlide tab, click Insert (next to the Slide Check button) or press Ctrl+Shift+S.
- A pop up appears. Type the name of your section, and select OK or hit Enter.
Once you do this, a section divider will be inserted and the Table of Contents slide will be updated. At step three you also have the possibility to insert the section as unnumbered section and/or as an appendix. Depending on your template, creating the section as an appendix might remove the section name from the contents page.
Subsections can be added in addition to sections to help structuring the presentation. Depending on your template:
- Subsections use a divider slide and are handled exactly the same way as sections.
- Subsections are completely deactivated
- Subsections do not have a divider slide may impact the content of the automatic subsection trackers on the slides (see paragraph below about automatic trackers / reminder shapes).
To add a subsection:
- Click between the slides (in the thumbnail pane) where you would like your subsection to start.
- Go to Insert button on the UpSlide tab and select Insert Subsection from the drop-down menu.
- A pop up appears. Type the name of your subsection, and select OK or hit Enter.
If UpSlide refuses to insert a subsection you will need to add the subsection from the Outline pane (explained in the next paragraph).
Rename sections and subsections from their divider slides
Change the text directly on a divider slide and press refresh to update your Contents page. Don't edit the names from the contents page as it will be overwritten by what is used on the divider slide.
Restructure your presentation using the Outline pane
The Outline pane shows an overview of your presentation and is another way to change section names. To open the Outline pane and edit the structure of your presentation:
- Go to UpSlide tab and click the Outline button. This should open a pane on the right, displaying the sections, subsections and slides of the presentations opened in your computer.
- To go to a particular slide/section, just double click on it.
- To change the name of a section, right click on the section name you want to change within the pane. Select Rename, type the new name and press Enter.
- To insert a (sub)section, right click on a slide within the pane, select Insert and then Section or Subsection. The (sub)section will be inserted just before the slide.
- To reorder a (sub)section, click on the object on your Outline pane and drag it to where you would like it to go. This will reorder the entire section including all the slides associated with it.
- To remove a (sub)section, click on the object on your Outline pane and select Remove. This will delete the (sub)section from the presentation but not the slides within it.
Do not forget to refresh the presentation to apply your changes to all your slides (see Refresh the content page paragraph).
Automatic trackers / reminder shapes
In addition to divider slides, UpSlide also can insert a reminder of the title and number of the (sub)section for each slide. These reminders work as automatic trackers, and their position and exact content depend on your template.
They are automatically inserted and updated when the presentation is refreshed.
Refresh the contents page, section dividers and cross references
After editing the structure of your presentation, go to the UpSlide tab and click the Refresh button to make sure your presentation is up to date. This will update:
- Sections, subsections and slides names across the presentation (including contents page, Outline pane as well as every slide of the presentation).
- The reminder shapes if they exist in your template.
- Any cross-references included in the presentation.