If you are using the Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel for your Office updates, version 2102 is causing dots to appear on exported charts when the PowerPoint presentation is converted into a PDF.
When a PowerPoint presentation containing charts exported from Excel is converted into a PDF, a shape appears in the top left corner. The shape and colour of the dot may vary. It affects Excel's native charts as well as UpSlide's special charts.
The issue has been introduced in Office version 2102 (build 13801.20294) released in July 2021 for the Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel.
To check the update channel you are currently on, from Excel, click on File -> Account, and check the About Excel part.
UpSlide has worked on a fix, released in versions 184.108.40.206 and above. If your UpSlide version is not up to date, you can try the three workarounds below:
- Change the default shape settings in your source Excel file(s)
- Use the printer's option Print to PDF to generate your file
- Downgrade your Office version
Change the default shape setting
- Insert any shape into your workbook
- Format the shape so it has no fill and no outline colour
- Right-click the line around the shape and choose Set As Default Shape from the menu
- Update your charts in PPT using the UpSlide Link and you can now PDF without the dots appearing
If your charts are from multiple Excel files you will need to repeat these steps in the other workbooks.
Use Print to PDF
- In PowerPoint, go to File -> Print.
- Select the printer Microsoft Print to PDF.
- Click on Print.
- Save your file under the appropriate name.
The most recent version of Office on the Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel channel which doesn't feature this bug is version 2008 (build 13127.21704).
To downgrade your Office version:
- Open the Windows menu and open a command-line prompt (Windows+R -> cmd).
- Copy-paste the following command line to downgrade your Office version (make sure to replace the underlined build number accordingly to the previous table)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13127.21704
- Check that office has been effectively rollbacked by going again to File -> Account