Power BI is great for displaying live data but it's hard to add a written commentary. Our link is designed to allow you to use Power BI visuals within PowerPoint or Word (perhaps with other sources too) so you retain the storytelling flexibility of PowerPoint and Word.
Before you use our link please follow some prerequisite steps:
UpSlide's Power BI panel uses Microsoft Edge. To ensure your visuals look the same in your PowerPoint and Word reports as they do in your Workspace, make sure to use this browser to make any changes.
Creating your link
- Publish your Power BI report online in your Workspace
- In PowerPoint choose the slide and placeholder where you want to add your visual. In Word place the cursor where you want to add your visual.
- Click the Import Power BI Visuals button
- The Power BI panel will open. Now connect to your Office 365 account; the same you use to publish your Power BI report online in your Workspace
- Apply filters on the visuals
- Export by right clicking on each visual then choosing Export to PowerPoint/Word
Link a whole page
You can also export the whole page of your report following the tutorial above.
Prior to creating a linked visual/page you can use UpSlide to force Power BI to refresh the data. Within the UpSlide import window use the refresh icon next to the report name.
Information in the update panel
The Update Links panel in PowerPoint/Word shows you for each visual the:
- Visual title
- Tab title
- Last modification
- Dashboard Title
- Applied filters
N.B. If all your exported visuals are not in the Update links pane, click on the Refresh list button at the bottom of the pane.
You can open your Power BI report from the Update Links pane by clicking on the Open report link
Update visuals and pages
- In PowerPoint/Word press Update Links button
- Select the visuals you want to update
- Click on the Update button at the bottom of the pane
Our Power BI to PowerPoint/Word link has limitations.
Check the list here to make sure your report is compatible with our link.